Thursday, September 20, 2018

Bloody Rose by Nicholas Eames

I think any fan of Kings of the Wyld will find this satisfying. It’s a bit more serious, but it still has the snide dialogue and band references and alliteration that we’ve come to love.

I am really, really horrible when it comes to band names and even song titles (let alone individual band members). I can tell you that my favorite band is Depeche Mode, but I couldn’t tell you any of the members’ names. So I know I missed tons of references in this book, but it didn’t detract from the actual plot, and I still got Men Without Helmets, Quarterflash, WHAM, and Rich the Lion.

The book just felt kind of long to me. There’s tons of battles and fighting, and nothing felt extraneous, but it was just long.

The characters are great. They are all deeply flawed, which allows for a lot of plot and character development. So if you’re tired of Miss Special who’s so perfect and full of specialness, this book will be extremely refreshing. Almost every character has to deal with or confront his or her father in the book, which was an interesting theme to think about. I didn’t quite feel like Tam belonged with Cura. I felt like Cura was way older (which may be not correct) and too damaged to be able to contribute to a healthy relationship.

Evil thrives on division. It stokes the embers of pride and prejudice until they become an inferno that might one day devour us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment